Wednesday, January 6, 2010

It's COLD!

Well, if you live further north than I do, you'll think I'm crazy, but for the deep south... this is COLD!!! This morning when I got up it was 16 degrees. There is a chance of wintry precipitation of some sort tomorrow... this is just not normal for us!

To be honest, I like cold weather and normally we don't get much of it. The thing that makes me dread it here is that people here just don't handle it well. The preparedness level for dealing with cold weather and ice is just not very high. Kids don't have really heavy coats because we don't normally need them. Just the slight possibility of some ice causes everyone to freak out and go buy all the bread and water in the stores.

There was one time they were saying we might be getting a storm (this was for a hurricane, though.. not cold weather) and I was in Walmart doing normal shopping. I was trying to get back into the drink section to buy some soda and there were lots of people there... I was standing there waiting for them to get out of the way and all of a sudden someone dropped a big thing of bottled water in my buggy... I was in line for water and didn't know it!!! That storm didn't hit us, by the way...

Also, if we do have ice on the roads, people here just can't drive in it... but they won't admit that, and they will try... and they will wreck. Yikes!

So, it's not the weather itself that concerns me, it's the fact that when people are put in a situation they are not used to... they tend to freak.

Pray for us! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment