Sunday, January 31, 2010

Authenticity - does Supermom really exist?

Lots of people think I'm Supermom :-) It's really very flattering :-) And I do love my life and am decent at organizing my home and pretty good at taking care of my kids most days (only by the grace of God, of course)... but Supermom? Really?

I post status updates on facebook about my kids and my husband and my life... I send emails and have conversations... and as a result of what I say, a lot of people think of me as this amazing, strong, "has it all together" mom and wife. People ask me questions and ask my advice. And I LOVE IT! I do. I have a heart for sharing my life with others and for helping others not make the same mistakes I did. LOVE it.

But sometimes I'm not okay. Sometimes I don't have it all together. What's up with that? ;-) And sometimes, it seems to me, that nobody notices. And every once in a while that bugs me.... so what's up with that?

For one thing, the face that 'nobody' notices just isn't true... my husband notices, my kids notice, and most of the time at least one of my very close friends notices... that happened recently, in fact :-) So, to say nobody notices is a lie. People notice... just not many people... and certainly not the people who think I'm Supermom.

Another thing... It's my own fault!!! 99% of the things I say about my life are positive... so why would anyone think I'm not okay? I can't blame them... how are they supposed to know I'm having a hard time if I don't tell them? Yikes!

All of this got me to wondering if I'm a liar? Do I just really enjoy the attention that being Supermom all the time brings? Am I being dishonest about my life in order to give this impression? This really started bugging me. Lying is something I an NOT okay with... so am I some kind of secret habitual liar leading a secret life?

I began to do the only thing I knew to do to sort this out. Pray. I asked God to show me the truth about myself. Why did what others think about me seem so far removed from the reality of my life?

God slowly has started showing me things about myself and my life. I am not a liar. I'm just positive... not bragging, just sayin.... Also, God is showing me that the reason I have a tendency toward being positive is because my life has been just plain awful and miserable in the past, so I appreciate what I have right now. My life IS good. I LOVE it. But it's not easy. I think that's where I've gone wrong. Somehow in being positive and loving my life I've given off the impression that my life is easy. It's not.

So... what to do? Complain a lot so people "know" my life isn't easy? Continue to be positive and let people think I'm Supermom even if I don't think I am? There has to be a balance there somewhere and that's what the point of this blog is :-)

Anyone who knows me well knows that I am "real". I don't pretend to be someone I'm not... so, for now, I am positive... and if that makes me Supermom in some people's eyes... then great! I am sure God will use that for His glory somehow. And if I end up at a point where I am "faking it" in order to be positive... I will stop... because it's not who I am. And if you are going to know me, you are going to know who I really am. Supermom or not, like it or not.

Now, where did I put that cape? :-)

2 comments:

  1. GIRL, I LOVED reading this!!! And I WANT to become a person who notices. This is something i'm greatly learning from you...to notice and anticipate others needs. You are so good at taking care of others and seeing their needs, most of the time even before they are aware of them themselves. :P

    Well, you know how i think about all of this...and besides you've already asked God and heard from Him!!! :P Of course you are not a liar!!! I love your honesty and your postiveness. You have never once come off as bragging to me, in fact your thankfulness is exhorting to people...it's genuine and people see that 100%...don't try to change who you are in that, keep reminding us that these (and maybe the ones to come) are the best years of our life! ;)

    Oh, and I don't think you at all give off the impression that your life is easy. I've never gotten that impression from you...not once...you "find a good balance" :P in sharing without complaining. When you do discuss the difficulties it is an example to me (again leadership...)

    One last thing...you are right. Some might see you as Supermom, but you can't change who God has made you to be. I've never seen you draw attention to yourself, rather you quietly and humbly use your gifts to glorify HIM, so walk in freedom and rejoice knowing that your Father is delighting in His daughter :)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are a super friend! :)

    ReplyDelete