Sunday, December 13, 2009

Assuming and Investing

It's interesting to me (and pretty annoying) how people (including myself) tend to lump people into groups and make assumptions about them based on their choices. And a lot of times it makes sense because people do tend to group together with like-minded people, but sometimes people just don't fit into these molds we tend to put them in... and I'd even venture to say that most of the time, if we took the time to really get to know people... we'd be surprised what we learned and realize a lot of our assumptions are wrong.

And because of this sometimes I feel caught between two worlds... We have a lot of children and my husband and I tend to make some very conservative choices for our family, and our kids are in public school. There is only one other family I know (I'm sure there are others out there, I just don't know them) who has 5 or more kids and puts there kids in public school (love you Jackie!).

It's been interesting... when I am at the school, people are surprised and shocked that I have a lot of children... and the same is true when I am in a group of homeschool families who don't know me well.. because they see me with a lot of kids, they are surprised and shocked that my kids are in public school. And I know for a fact that people on both sides of this have talked about and criticized me for what they think is the wrong decision (either I should stop having kids.. or that I should homeschool my kids). I have both overheard these comments and been told about them.

But all of these comments go out the window when a person takes the time to really get to know me. Then the assumptions end and the truth is revealed. That is when people understand why we have made the choices we have, and when people see our hearts.

Believe me, I am in no way complaining... I'm just giving an example. I can't complain because I do this too... I make assumptions about people, and then when I really get to know them, I begin to understand. And my assumptions are proven either right or wrong, and even when I was right about one thing, it turns out I was wrong about another.

So, the lesson I have been trying to learn is that I need to invest in people. Really get to know them... if I am thinking about a person enough to make assumptions about them, then I should take the time I spend assuming and spend it investing. Investing in their lives and getting to know them.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE your blog, girl! Those are wonderful thoughts about investing! :) And I can't wait to read about what you get your children for Christmas...you know how i am always trying to pick your brain? Well, YAY, i get to read more of how you manage and do things! :)

    Kat

    ReplyDelete