Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Christmas Gifts

I get asked quite often what we do for Christmas gifts, so I thought I'd share...

For our kids, we give them each three gifts plus their stocking. Someone told me they did this a long time ago to represent the gold, frankincense and myrrh given to Jesus. We liked the idea especially the aspect of putting a limit on how much the kids get. No offense to anyone intended, but I think it's ridiculous the number of people who run around getting themselves into debt in order to get their children everything they've even mentioned they might want. I understand the pull to want to give our kids everything they want, but even if I had the money to do it, I just don't think it's good for them. My opinion in case you wanted it :-)

Here's what we did this year:
---For my 6 year old girl: a big huge stuffed animal (the only thing she asked for.. I found one for $20.. it's bigger than her!!), a tote full of arts and crafts supplies, and a caboodle full of play make-up.
---For my 4 year old girl: Snow White the movie, a dress up outfit, and a set of Snow white and the 7 dwarfs figurines
---For my 9 year old boy: A new game for his gameboy, a sword (he has SO many, but loves them!), and an xbox game he and his dad can play together (really cheap off amazon b/c we have an old xbox and they don't sell games for it in the store anymore)
---For my 2 year old boy: His bday is in Dec and he's getting a rocking horse for his bday present. His Christmas presents are a remote control fire truck (a used hand me down... he won't know!), a Mr. Potato Head, and a set of balls (he loves balls!)
---For my 5 month old: For the sake of his siblings we're wrapping up some baby toys we've had in storage.

Their stockings usually have one food item, one practical thing like socks, and then a toy or two. This year the older ones are getting some of those silly bandz that are so crazy popular right now.

I say that we don't spend much, but it's all relative... I mean, I was talking to a mom who was excited because she limited herself to $150 per kid... so, compared to her I don't spend much. But if I look at it from a worldview perspective, the fact that I spent $40 on my 6 year old means that I've spent several month's salary for some people in other countries.

I don't think it's wrong to spend more than I do, especially if you have more to spend without going into debt, but I do think self control is important in all of this :-)

As for other people, we do $15 per niece/nephew. And for the most part the other adults we would give gifts to, we have portraits made and give those out.

For the people at Brian's work and the SS teachers at church, we bake cookies.

For the teachers at the school, we do a gift card.

We generally don't exchange gifts with each other (hubby and I).

So, there it is... that's what we do :-)

I pray anyone reading this has a blessed Christmas!!

2 comments:

  1. Well Julie I will have to admit that for our 2 children (11 & 14) we spent more than that. About $150 apiece, if we had more children it would be less. But what I wanted to add to what you said was that the thing that I have seen through my kids in the past and with others is this. When they get a ton of stuff it is overwhelming and they never really get the full enjoyment out of any of it because they are not forced to really figure out all it has to offer due to something else they can turn their attention to. So they actually miss out rather than get more pleasure out of they're gifts. Just my thoughts added to yours.

    Rickey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rickey! I completely agree! We do spend more on birthdays... it just works out better that way especially since the grandparents do more for Christmas. We discovered what you're saying is SO true one year when we went overboard for Skyler's bday. He just didn't know what to play with and it was overwhelming for him. We actually ended up putting some of it up and brought it out a couple months later. Thanks for your thoughts! And I do realize the older our kids get the harder it will be to spend as little as we do... we're starting to learn that already with Skyler. Their tastes get more expensive as they get older!

    ReplyDelete